Thursday, April 10, 2014

NSTA Boston



I just got back from the National Science Teachers Annual Meeting in Boston. Here are fifteen highlights:

1. ScienceNspired - Using neoroscience understandings of the brain, Dr. Z (Schlozman) and Dr. Mayim Bialik (from The Big Bang Theory) developed lesson plans and a curriculum for Zombies.The site is education.ti.com/us/science. STEM behind Hollywood was cool, but it was even cooler to know Sheldon's girlfriend has a PhD in neuroscience and is passionate about kids learning science. 

2. Bill Nye the Science Guy - He shared lots of projects on which he is working. I was prepared to be unimpressed by him, but I found myself really admiring the work he and his staff put into his presentation. I learned again the power of a few slides with clever pictures and math applications. His debate with Hamm the fundamentalist was featured.To the question what would it take to change your mind, Nye said some evidence.Hamm said,"nothing.." I learned again that for the minority whose mind cannot be changed no amount of research will dent their armor. 



3. Pasco Sparklab -l learned how to use the wireless temperature probe and took readings on different places on my arm. This data was then tabled and graphed automatically. It was much easier to use and more intuitive than the Vernier software that I have used for years. 

4. Pasco Representative - This led to a long conversation with the Pasco rep for my area - Scott Fields sfields@pasco.com. He is coming to Jackson soon and will meet with me and give a proposal for equipping my science lab. Since he knows I have used vernier throughout my career and talked with Christine Vernier about special pricing, it will be interesting. 

5. Ice Core Samples - I learned how ice core samples can be used to find supernova events.This is done by observing nitrate spikes in the sample at verified supernova years like the ones observes by Tycho Brahe in the late 1500s
early 1600. This data is compared to other times in history - if similar spikes are observed then supernovas probably occurred then as well.
www. chandra.harvard.edu > classroom materials. 

 
6. National Geographic ebooks - Maureen McLaughlin taught me how to set up an account with them so that I can get a pilot copy of the online book for my physics course and for others as well. maureen..mcaughlin@cengage.com. 

7.WebAssign - Kevin Holman discussed with me all the different resources on web assign. He also taught me how to upload my own videos. Because of my passion and innovative strategies he invented me to a conference in Raleigh where I could share my ideas and get ideas from others - WAUG2014, June 26-27, 2014. 

8. Arbor Scientific Gravity Ball  I sample and play with several new "toys." One was the gravity ball that had a timer. It starts when you drop it and stops when it lands. Cool. Another was a new rocket launcher that had an easy set-up that I am going to try. Also I got a good idea for redesigning my angle launcher. I also got to meet Peter Rea, the CEO, who will give me a special deal on supplies for my science van. 

9. Museum of Science - The coolest part for me was once again seeing the model of the Mercury capsule. It was so incredibly small. It is hard to imagine John Glenn going into orbit in the tin can. Also I saw a cross section of a sequoia. It was 2000 years old and had growth rings with 20 year wet periods and 20 year dry periods. Also I got to see the Lightning demo with the two largest Van der Graff's in the world will show my students when we get to that unit. 




10. Programming with Snap - This was my first experience with the free programming software, Snap from UC Berkeley . I was able to write a program that had an object move up and down across the screen by moving a switch on an arquino logic board. Since I am now taking a computer coding course as a part of a google initiative for four of my female students, it was good to see another programming language.I will definitely introduc this program to my students.

11.Lego Mindstorm Robots - Snap pushed me to another workshop with Lego mindstorm robots. I have one at school and after the previous workshop and this one I am inspired to get it out of the closet to inspire the students this last nine weeks when they need all the help they can get to stay focused. 

12. EdTechInnovations with Jared Mader -  I learned how to make fillable forms on google docs. I also got a link to his website that has 100s more how to videos and pdf's. www.edtechinnovators.com. 

13. Fast Plants - I learned how to make a fast plant necklace where seeds are germinated around your neck inside a bottle cap. I also got to observe what those same seeds would look like 30 days later - a full grown plant, thus the name.
I also got to observe seedlings with different stem colors and see how easy the plants are to cross. I can use these on my science van as well. 


14.Team Rocketry Challenge - I learned more about the competition. I am more convinced now that my students can do it. I am determined to get a team next year. 

15. Knexeducation.com. 888.ABC.KNEX. I learned how to construct simple machines with these "lego-like" connectors.These would also be invaluable tools for the science van. 

No comments:

Post a Comment